Saturday, September 10, 2011

Vrrrrooooom Vrroooom!!!

I can't believe it, but my baby turned three a few weeks ago. I don't know where three years have gone. The two kiddos have been keeping me really busy, and then I also have a full time job, so I haven't been able to blog much. But, of course, I made time to make Mr B his own special birthday cake. We skipped the big birthday party hoopla this year, in favor of a more intimate gathering. The family went to Chuck E Cheese during the day, and then had a small celebration in the evening. B's birthday was on a Monday, so Chuck E Cheese wasn't crowded at all and both my boys could play to their heart's desire. Now, back to the cake details! It took me FOREVER to figure out what I was going to do for the design of this cake. I searched and searched for ideas online. Most had some intricate designs and moldings of the Cars characters. I really wanted to keep it simple, so I didn't want to start molding custom Cars characters. Finally, after searching and searching, this is what I came up with. I found this picture and modeled B's cake after it. I opted for buttercream frosting over fondant, simply because I like the taste better. A much smoother and neater cake surface would result from using fondant, but we're all about taste at my house! :) This was a homemade vanilla cake, and then the middle was homemade strawberry filling. I love the look of tall cakes, so I stacked three cakes. As you can see in the first picture, my son insisted on a Buzz Lightyear candle to be put on his Cars cake. This cake was super fun to make and my son loved it, so that makes one happy momma.

I have to thank my hubby for all his help too. He's become my partner in crime with the kids birthday cakes. He keeps me sane and calm during the decorating process. :)





No comments:

Post a Comment